Last updated on 13 February, 2024
Physical sunscreens form a physical barrier on the skin for sun protection. They are often referred to as mineral sunscreens since they use minerals as a sun protection ingredient. The minerals in physical sunscreens are Zinc oxide and Titanium Oxide. They block the Sun’s UV rays by scattering and reflecting and can be called as sunblocks. Today’s post is all about Physical Sunscreens Available in India.
Best Physical Sunscreen in India
Qurez Mattifying Mineral Sunscreen with SPF 30
- Qurez mattifying mineral sunscreen is formulated with sun protecting physical UV filters along with skin nourishing ingredients.
- This mineral sunscreen is PA+++ and has SPF of 30.
- The product not only offers Blue Light Protection but is also free from chemical filter, artificial fragrance, paraben and phthalate.
- Additionally it contains Aloe Vera extract, Vitamin E, Sea buckthorn fruit extract, Vegetable glycerine to nourish and nurture the skin while protecting it from sun’s UV rays.
La Shield Fisico SPF 50+ & PA+++ Mineral Sunscreen Gel
- La Shield Fisico SPF 50+ & PA+++ Sunscreen Gel is a 100% physical sunscreen that is free from chemical sunscreen filters.
- Dermatologically tested and has broad spectrum formula with SPF 50+, PA+++. Provides superior photo protection from both Ultraviolet A (UVA) and Ultraviolet B (UVB) rays.
- Being water resistant, it offers long-lasting protection from UV induced skin damage such as sunburn, redness, tanning, pigmentation, ageing, inflammation, etc.
- Due to the presence of 25% micronized zinc oxide, La Shield Fisico Sunscreen Gel is exceptionally transparent, and does not leave a white cast.
- Moreover it is suitable for all skin types and is non-irritant.
The Derma Co Ultra Light Zinc Mineral Sunscreen
- As the name suggests this sunscreen contains zinc oxide as the sunscreen ingredient.
- This superlight sunscreen is enriched with 25% Zinc Oxide that offers comprehensive protection while giving a non-greasy finish with zero white cast.
- The brand has also uploaded the SPF test results of the sunscreen on their website.
- The oil-free formulation of the sunscreen suits all skin types & effortlessly blends into daily skincare routine.
- This could be an affordable option as a physical sunscreen as the brand usually offers discounts.
Rovectin Skin Essentials Aqua Soothing UV Protector SPF 50+ PA++++
- Rovectin Aqua Soothing UV Protector is the only Korean mineral-based sunscreen in this list of physical sunscreen in India.
- It contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the UV filters and is a100% mineral based sunscreen
- It is free from paraben, mineral oil, artificial colour and fragrance.
- The sunscreen offers effective broad-spectrum SPF50+ PA++++ and leaves the skin hydrated.
- It is suitable for combination, oily skin. Dry skin people can use a hydrating moisturizer beneath it.
Suncros Matte Finish Soft SPF 50+ PA+++ Sunscreen
- Suncros Matte Finish Gel contains Zinc oxide as the sun protecting ingredient.
- As per the brand claims it is suitable for all ages above 6 months.
- It is good physical sunscreen with SPF 50 and PA+++ and has a water resistant formula that provides protection up to 8 hours (as claimed by the brand).
- It not only leaves a minimal white cast but is also fragrance free.
Z Block 25% Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Gel
- I have personally used this sunscreen and found it to be a good one for my oily skin.
- It is a 100% physical sunscreen and contains 25% zinc oxide as the sun protecting agent.
- It has a breakthrough patented Index Match Technology to ensure a non opaque, non whitening sunscreen experience.
- This sunscreen contains Zinclear IM that is the most transparent and effective zinc oxide in the world and also approved by ECOCERT.
- Z-Block does leave a little white cast but gives a silky-smooth, non oily, matt finish and velvety feel.
The Ordinary Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 With Antioxidants
- With the launch of The Ordinary brand on Nykaa we thought of including The Ordinary Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 in this list of best physical sunscreen in India.
- This sunscreen offers SPF protection along with antioxidant, hydration, and anti-irritant support. The Mineral UV Filter formulas avoid the use of any nanoparticles.
- Instead, a refined dispersion of micronized ZnO and TiO2 in flexible, high-volatility, non-comedogenic silicones is put to work. It allows the formulations to remain extremely lightweight by optimizing the amount of the blocking agents.
- Their formulation uses mainly ZnO for its protective effects and the supporting TiO2 that it contains is only in rutile form.
The Moms Co. Natural Daily Mineral Sunscreen
- The Moms Co. Natural Daily Sunscreen has a lightweight and non-sticky consistency that is absorbed quickly without leaving any white cast.
- The SPF 45+, PA++++ provides adequate protection against UV-A and UV-B rays. Formulated with 25% Zinc Oxide and licorice extracts, it offers broad-spectrum protection, prevents dark spots and fights pigmentation.
- This non-comedogenic sunscreen suits all skin types. It is also made without dimethicone, trichomethicone or dimethicone copolyol. So if you are looking for best physical sunscreen without silicone then this can be your pick.
- Moreover, all products by The Moms Co. are Australia-certified toxin-free, Australia Allergy Certified and dermatologically tested, PeTA certified and cruelty free.
Derma Essentia Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 Gel
- Derma Essentia Sunscreen is a dry-touch one with SPF 50 with an exclusive 100% mineral formulation.
- The combination of Zinc Oxide and lipochroman provides protection against UVA & UVB rays.
- Formulated with anhydrous base technology it provides a dry touch effect and gives an ultra-light, non-greasy, easy to spread texture.
- It is suitable for all skin types. Moreover, due to physical filters makes it particularly suitable for sensitive skin.
Re’equil Sheer Zinc Tinted Mineral Sunscreen
- Re’equil Sheer Zinc Tinted Sunscreen has SPF 50 with PA+++ and is a 100% mineral sunscreen with 25% zinc as the only sunscreen filter.
- It has a universal tint that blends with every skin tone leaving absolutely zero white cast.
- The tinted mineral sunscreen offers broad spectrum UVA, UVB and IR protection.
- It is not only dermatologically tested but also free of fragrance, parabens and SLS.
Physical sunscreens usually leave a white cast. It settles in sometime after applying to the skin or by blending into the skin. Along with white cast, reapplication and suitability for deeper skin tones is a major problem. However, physical sunscreens are safe since they do not use any chemical filters to combat the Sun rays.
How to use a physical sunscreen?
- Sunscreen must be applied 20-25 minutes prior sun exposure
- Take adequate quantity and apply in small dots on the skin
- Spread it slowly with your fingers in one direction
- If you notice a white cast, keep on massaging with light strokes until it totally disappears into the skin. Blending the physical sunscreen is the key to reduce white cast
- Avoid applying the sunscreen on wet skin or immediately after using a moisturiser or face oil
- Do not rub in two opposite directions on the skin. Keep on blending in one direction
When to reapply the physical sunscreen?
- Reapply after every 2-4 hours of normal activity
- In case of physical activity, wipe off the water and/or sweat, then reapply.
Although we have checked the ingredients list of all the physical sunscreens mentioned above, brands keep on improving the formulation over a period of time resulting in changed ingredients list. So before you pick up the physical sunscreen in India, make sure to check the ingredients list before making a decision. If you are pregnant, lactating it is better to consult your healthcare provider before using any sunscreen in the market.