Last updated on 24 February, 2021
Oily skinned beauties have a hard time finding a good moisturizer. The most popular belief, that oily skin does not need moisturisation, is very untrue as well as not good for the skin. Ask us why?
An oily skin produces excess sebum due to the constant use of foaming or harsh cleansers. As a result, skin produces excess sebum, which attracts dust and grime. Dust and grime can lead to clogged pore.
Therefore, it is important to moisturize as well as hydrate oily skin. While picking up a moisturizer for oily skin, a few things should be kept in mind so that the moisturizer helps in skin renewal and revival.
Following are some points, which help you in picking up a good moisturizer for your oily skin.
How to choose a good moisturizer for oily skin?
- Addressing current concerns – If you have acne prone skin, which gets clogged up easily, you make want to pick up a moisturizer which addresses the acne concerns or helps heal acne fast. Similarly, some moisturizers help in reducing acne marks as well as scars. Pick up a moisturizer which will address your current skin concerns and which will help reduce your skin problems. If your only goal is to moisturize the skin, a simple moisturizer will do the job.
- Ingredients to avoid – While picking up a moisturizer for oily skin some ingredients such as some plant butters, alcohols, artificial fragrances and perfumes can be avoided. Alcohols in the moisturizer end up drying the skin which damages the skin barrier. Similarly, artificial fragrances and perfumes might make the skin sensitive in the long run. So next time you pick up a moisturizer check the ingredients’ list for artificial fragrances and perfumes and other ingredients.
- Non comedogenic formula – The moisturizer that you are using should not clog pores and lead to acne or cystic acne. Sometimes instead of comedogenic ingredient, the moisturizer formula itself is comedogenic. So make sure the product you are using, is well tested (on humans of course) and is well formulated by a formulator. Many oily skinned beauties prefer gel formula, which is hydrating and not heavy at the same time. Some light-weight moisturizers or lotions also suffice the purpose.
- Age factor – While picking up a moisturizer age can be considered as a factor. A teenager would like to pick up a simple moisturizer, which just moisturizes the skin whereas a 40 year old lady may look in for anti aging ingredients in a moisturizer. So keeping age in mind while picking up a moisturizer is as important as picking up the one with right ingredients.
- To SPF or not to SPF – Being said that, you should use SPF every single day. For oily skin we suggest you to use a light weight moisturizer and use a SPF separately. It is your choice if you pick up a moisturizer with SPF depending on your skincare routine as well as your skin concerns. Although very few mositurizers with SPF have SPF rating of 30 or more.
- Ingredients to look out for – On the lines of ingredients to be avoided point mentioned above, you could also pick up moisturizers, which will help oily skin in the long run. Ingredients like Green Tea, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid are beneficial for the oily skin. Pick up moisturizers that contain one or more such ingredients.
They say there is no such thing as over moisturization, but for oily skin, dabbing extra moisturizer can really be problematic. Keep in mind that a moisturizer will not be able to meet all the above requirements, but you need to try, to find which one works best for your skin.
We hope you find this guide helpful while picking up a moisturizer next time. Happy Skincare!
- Best Moisturizer for Oily Skin in India (2020 Edition)
- Best Oil free Moisturizer in India for Oily Acne Prone Skin
- Best Paraben Free Moisturizers in India for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
Photo by Mikhail Nilov from Pexels