Charcoal has been in the news for all good reasons. It has been inculcated as an ingredient in all skincare, body care and hair care products right from toothpaste to a shampoo. You can also find it in face wash, powder cleansers or deodorant or cleansing balm. DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask is very easy to make and we are going to check that itself today!
Charcoal is an amazing ingredient which works as an adsorbent and sucks out all the surface impurities may it be skin, scalp or teeth. Let’s see how we can make DIY face masks for each skin type.
Use glass or plastic bowls for mixing all masks!
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask for Dry Normal Skin type
Dry to normal skin types tend to lose moisture pretty quickly. Whenever you make a face mask for dry/normal skin type make sure to add a hydrating agent and use less amount of clay in it. You can even skip clay when using a mask for dry/normal skin.
- 1 teaspoon of oatmeal or barley finely milled
- A pinch of activated charcoal powder
- A drop of Grapeseed oil or your favorite essential oil (you may skip this step totally)
- Mix all the ingredients with the liquid of your choice (hydrosol or rose water)
- Apply the mask for 10 minutes and wash off with plain cold water.
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask for combination Skin
For combination skin which is more of oily on tzone area you need a clarifying clay such as French Green Clay. You can make two different masks, one for tzone area and another one for rest of the face.
- Mix one part of oatmeal finely milled to half part of French Green Clay
- Add a pinch of charcoal to it.
- Mix the ingredients with plain water
- Aapply on tzone area which is nothing but forehead and nose area.
Rest of the face
- Mix one part of oatmeal finely milled
- A pinch of charcoal to it.
- Mix the ingredients with a plain water
- Apply to the remaining face.
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Masks Oily / Acne prone Skin
Oily acne prone skin needs extra care with removing dirt and pollutants accumulated on the face. Most often acne prone skin has active acne which need to be dried out a bit without making the skin dry.
- Mix equal parts of finely milled oatmeal and bentonite clay.
- Add a pinch of activated charcoal and one drop of tea tree essential oil to it.
- Mix well with liquid and apply on face for 5-7 minutes.
- Do not wait till the mask dries up.
- Wash off with plain water
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin can’t tolerate most clays as they suck up moisture. Plus most sensitive ski types can’t tolerate essential oils. So avoid using them.
- Mix equal parts of oatmeal and chamomile flowers finely milled.
- Add a pinch of activated charcoal.
- Mix all the ingredients in pure rose water and apply as mask for 5-7 minutes.
- Wash off with plain water.
Activated charcoal mask helps to pull out the pollutants and dirt from the surface of the skin. Using a charcoal based mask once or twice in a fortnight helps in clarifying the skin. We hope you find the charcoal mask recipes useful.